What is a protection order? How can I get one?

A protection order is an order that prohibits the respondent from contacting you. There are several kinds of protection orders, including an Order for Protection (for domestic violence cases,) No Contact Order, Restraining Order, and Anti-Harassment Order. You can apply for a protection order at the clerk's office for District or Superior Court.  There may or may not be a charge to obtain a protection order. 

For more information, contact the Victim/Witness Unit, or call the Clerk's Office at 754-2011 ext. 2801 or 1-800-572-0119 ext. 2801.

Show All Answers

1. Will I have to testify?
2. Can I drop the charges?
3. I have bills because of this crime. How can I get them paid?
4. I have been threatened or contacted by the defendant. What can I do?
5. An attorney or investigator has been contacting me about the case. Do I have to talk to them?
6. I gave a statement to law enforcement. Why do I have to be interviewed?
7. Can someone attend the interview with me?
8. Will the defendant go to prison or jail?
9. Can I contact the defendant?
10. How can I be notified if the defendant is released from jail?
11. How could the defendant plead "not guilty?" I saw him do it/He confessed.
12. Can I obtain restitution for things such as pain, suffering, and mental anguish?
13. What is a protection order? How can I get one?
14. How do I know when and where to go to court?