The recording department is charged with recording real estate documents, liens, military discharges, maps, and surveys. The recording department also issues marriage licenses. Copies of any recorded document can also be obtained through this department for a fee.

Recordings & e-Recordings

We are asking that all recordings be made through our e-Recording partners or through the mail. The Recording office is open at this time for walk-in recordings as well.

Our e-Recordings are:

Marriage Licenses

Our office is open 8 am to 4 pm to apply for a marriage license. Both parties must be present.

Contact Laurie Buchanan or Danielle Rice at the Recording office for more information.

Marriage Information

You may obtain a license at our office. Marriage license fee is $59. We can only accept checks or cash. At this time, we are unable to process credit or debit cards.

Applicants must be 18 years of age and provide a current picture ID, such as a Driver's License, State ID card, Military ID, or Passport. The ceremony must be performed between three and 60 days after the date of issuance.

The person performing the ceremony must be a judge, a retired judge, or an ordained minister. Applicants are responsible for obtaining an officiate to perform the ceremony. You may call the District Court at 509-754-2011, ext. 3128 to obtain an appointment for a judge to perform the ceremony.

You do not need to apply for the marriage license in the county you live, or the county you are getting married. You may apply for the marriage license in any Washington County, as long as the ceremony is being performed in the state of Washington.

Marriage Certificates

Grant County Marriage Certificates from 1909 to 1930 and Marriage Returns from 1909 to 1910 have been scanned and indexed, and are available for online viewing and ordering at The scanning and indexing process for Marriage Certificates is ongoing, from oldest to newest.

Grant County Marriage Certificates from 1909 to 2002, as well as Marriage Returns from 1909 to 1943, are available by emailing Washington State Archives Central Branch in Ellensburg or calling 509-963-2136, which holds the originals of these records.