Property Tax Deferral for Limited Income
Due to the extensive restrictions on this program, our office highly suggests that you read the entire publication for further details before applying. If you have any questions, please call Craig Allen at 509-754-2011 extension 2672.
- Limited Income Homeowners Deferral Publication (PDF)
- Limited Income Homeowners Deferral Application (PDF)
** Please note that the deferred amount, plus interest, becomes a lien in favor of the State until the total amount is repaid. The deferral only applies to the 2nd half taxes owing **
Under this deferral program, the Washington State Department of Revenue pays the second installment of your property taxes and/or special assessments, due October 31, on your behalf. The program is not an exemption or a grant. Deferred taxes are taxes that have been postponed. When you no longer own and use the property as your personal residence, you must repay the deferred tax. The deferred amount, plus interest, becomes a lien in favor of the state until the total amount is repaid.
To be eligible for this program, you must meet the ownership, occupancy, income, and equity requirements. In addition, your first property tax installment for the year, due April 30, must already be paid and your application must be filed no later than September 1.
- 2nd half tax: this deferral only applies to the 2nd half taxes owed
- Application year: to qualify for current year 2nd half tax deferral, you must qualify in the previous year
- Equity: There must sufficient equity in your home as taxes deferred cannot exceed 40% of your equity
- Income limit: Household disposable income for the previous year must be $57,000 or less
- Insurance: current fire and casualty insurance must be carried with WA Department of Revenue listed as a Loss Payee on the policy
- Ownership: You must have owned your home for five years before you can apply for a deferral
- Residency/Occupancy: the property must be your principal place of residence and you must occupy the home for more than nine months during that year and every subsequent year